INGHAM's History -- World War II

Courtesy of the Coast Guard Historian's Office

INGHAM departed Boston on 5 September 1940 and steamed to Greenland waters to assist CGC CAMPBELL and then escort her back to the New York Navy Yard, arriving there on 20 September 1940. INGHAM then departed for Weather Station No. 1 on 26 September and returned to Boston on 20 October 1940. During 16 November through 31 December 1940, INGHAM was rearmed at the Bethlehem Company Plant in South Boston, receiving anti-submarine and increased anti-aircraft weaponry. She then departed for duty on Weather Station No. 2 on 8 January 1941, returning to Boston on 4 February. On 1 March 1941 INGHAM was assigned to temporary duty with the Navy (she was officially transferred for duty with the Navy on 1 July 1941 and the Navy designated her as WPG-35), and she was ordered to Lisbon, Portugal to relieveher sister cutter CAMPBELL (WPG-32), conducting what was nicknamed "Flagpole Duty." The cutters were assigned to protect U.S. nationals and maintain a U.S. presence in European waters, sometimes serving as a floating embassy and other diplomatic duties as requested by the American ambassador and other U.S. officials there. She departed Boston on 15 April 1941 for European waters, and arrived in Lisbon on 25 April 1941 and relieved CAMPBELL.

INGHAM returned to Boston from Lisbon on 23 September 1941 and prepared to undertake escort of convoy operations on the North Atlantic, sailing between Boston, New York, Canadian ports such as Halifax and Argentia, Icelandic ports, and the main convoy routes to the United Kingdom. She was assigned to CINCLANT (DESLANT). On 7 December 1941 she was underway to Argentia, Newfoundland, arriving there on 9 December. She then sailed to Hvalfjordur, Iceland, arriving on 20 December and then reported for duty with Commander, Task Force #4 on 21 December 1941. She departed Hvalfjordur on 23 December and steamed to Boston, arriving there on 9 January 1942. She was granted availability at the Boston Navy Yard until 16 January and was then ordered to escort the SS Melville to Base Roger, arriving there on 19 January. She then steamed to Londonderry, Northern Ireland, arriving there on 31 January 1942 and departed on 4 February, escorting a convoy back to the U.S.

It was while cruising in convoy formation on 6 February 1942 that the sound operator picked up a sound contact at 1,900 yards. The contact was described as "mushy" and one charge was dropped, set at 100 feet. A short while later she regained contact and dropped an embarrassing pattern of five charges. About one minute after the last detonation a considerable number of large white bubbles were seen in the area. The spot was circled and soundings continued for 45 minutes on all headings before search was abandoned.

The next day, 7 February 1942, a Navy escort in the convoy, while patrolling, reported a submarine on the surface distant about two miles. INGHAM began running dawn the indicated bearing at 15 knots but sighted nothing. One Navy destroyer which was searching in the vicinity, dropped a depth charge pattern. After several hours of search another Navy destroyer made contact and dropped a complete pattern in the vicinity of the water light dropped previously by INGHAM. INGHAM and the destroyer then searched an area with a five mile radium from the last contact but failing to regain it, rejoined the convoy.

INGHAM departed Casco Bay on 16 May 1942 and proceeded alone for Argentia, Newfoundland, to report to Commander, Task Force 24 and Task Unit Commander 24.1.3 who were aboard CAMPBELL. After reporting on the 16th, unloading supplies and taking on miscellaneous small supplies, INGHAM rendezvoused on the 20th with T.U. 24.1.3, consisting of CAMPBELL and four Canadian corvettes. The convoy HX-190 of 18vessels was taken over that day. On the 25th the convoy was divided into two parts and INGHAM and HMCS Agassiz and six faster merchant vessels proceeded ahead of the main convoy. The convoy was dropped at Londonderry on the 27th and INGHAM continued to Lough Foyle, mooring on the 28th.

While moored from 4 June to 10 June 1942, parties from INGHAM were detailed to a British training unit for instruction in lookout duty, anti-aircraft defense and submarine attack, the latter being with an attack teacher aboard HMS Osprey. On 10 June 1942 she weighted anchor and in company with the CAMPBELL and four Canadian corvettes proceeded out of River Foyle to intercept the 48 ship convoy ONS-102. While patrolling the starboard bow of the convoy on the 13th, INGHAM obtained a firm contact and fired two "K" gun charges. Regaining the contact she fired a complete pattern of three large charges astern and five from "K" guns. The contact disappeared and no further action was taken.

On the 14th a convoy of 14 vessels from Iceland joined the convoy, making a total of 62 vessels and the escort units were augmented by the cutter Duane (WPG-33) and two Navy destroyers. Mail from INGHAM for the states was transferred to one of these destroyers. On the 16th INGHAM broke away from the convoy to investigate a sighting of light brown smoke on the horizon and on approaching closer definitely sighted a submarine with conning tower and diesel oil smoke from the exhaust plainly visible. INGHAM increased speed to 19 knots and gave chase, firing one round from the forward 5-inch gun at a range of 23,000 yards. The sub promptly dived and a search of the area produced no sound contacts. One large depth charge was fired and an hour later a full pattern was dropped but with no results. Echo ranging was difficult because of the number of porpoises in the area. Several hours later INGHAM abandoned the search and rejoined the convoy. On the 17th INGHAM and Duane departed the west-bound convoy to intercept the eastbound convoy SC-87 of nine vessels bound for Iceland. The convoy was escorted by air coverage into the harbor of Reykjavik on June 23rd. INGHAM proceeded to Hvalfjordur Fjord to moor the same evening.

INGHAM acted as weather patrol and plane guard vessel, reporting weather conditions every six hours until July 13th. While on this duty, on 1 July 1942, her officers and men boarded SS El Coston, flying the Panamanian flag out of Sidney, Novia Scotia, and bound for Reykjavik, found her to be friendly with papers in order. Relieved of weather patrol duty by the cutter BIBB (WPG-31), INGHAM proceeded to Hvalfjordur and underwent minor repairs until 26 July 1942. Then she remained at Hvalfjordur until August 21st, maintaining anti-aircraft watches during the day.

On 21 August 1942, INGHAM, in company with BIBB was underway patrolling convoy ONSJ-114, composed of one merchant vessel, to join convoy ONS-124. The escorts delivered the one merchant vessel to ONS-124 and then changed course to intercept eastbound convoySC-97 on August 29th. This was composed of two destroyers and five British corvettes acting as escort for 57 merchantmen. On August 31st two vessels of the convoy, SS Capira and SS Bronxville were torpedoed without warning, the first sinking immediately and the second few minutes later. Escort vessels carried out a search and a merchantman, previously designated as a rescue vessel, picked up the survivors. The results of the sound search were negative. The evening of 1st September 1942, eleven ships bound for Iceland departed the main convoy with INGHAM, BIBB and USS Schenck (DD-159) as escorts. At 2015 American plane patrolling over the main convoy reported two submarines, each on opposite bearings and each 24 miles distant. The convoy reached Reykjavik at noon on September 3rd without incident.

INGHAM, in company with BIBB, stood out of Reykjavik on 21 September 1942, as the ten-ship convoy SC-100 assembled and then were underway as its escort. On the 21st, they left the convoy to search for survivors of SS Penmar, which had been torpedoed about 2200 on the 22nd and had sunk in 10 minutes. On the 26th a red flare was sighted at 0710 and proceeding to investigate a freshly broken spar was sighted as they passed through an area of oil slicks and debris. Four hours later numerous red flares were sighted, followed by one lifeboat and one life raft. At noon BIBB lowered two boats and began bringing 61 survivors of Penmar aboard, including one naval officer and 23 enlisted men. The survivors were cared for, many of them suffering from exposure and edema, and after treatment almost all fully recovered.

Four-and-a-half hours later INGHAM sighted red flares and the BIBB covered INGHAM while she picked up eight survivors of SS Tennessee. A life boat awash was sighted with no occupants, as were two unoccupied rafts. On the 27th INGHAM and BIBB searched for the survivors of the torpedoed SS Athan Sultan. At 0520 a radar contact was reported at 2.8 miles, but being unable to sight anything three starshells were fired. The contact was lost without sighting anything and on the 28th they rejoined the convoy. On September 30th the Iceland section broke off SC-101. INGHAM, in company with BIBB and USS Leary (DD-158) escorted convoy SCL-101, composed of seven merchantmen with plane coverage during the daylight hours, dropping it and mooring at Reykjavik on 2 October 1942. She delivered the eight survivors from Tennessee to Army authorities at Reykjavik and proceeded to Hvalfjordur.

INGHAM got underway again from Reykjavik on 5 October 1942 as escort, with the Duane and Schenck, of the eight-vessel convoy ONSJ-136. A few hours later she dropped one depth charge on a doubtful sound contact. Poor visibility and wind of force 12 on October 7th scattered the convoy and despite searches there were only five of the eight vessels in the convoy on the 9th. INGHAM found one of the stragglers. That afternoon the main convoy ONS-136 was intercepted and INGHAM joined at 1955. Next day she joined convoy SCL-103, consisting of five merchantmen bound for Iceland, and dropped it at Reykjavik on October 12th, proceeding to Hvalfjordur with the Duane the same day.

INGHAM remained at Hvalfjordur until 27 October 1942, when she moved to Reykjavik and the next day began escorting the SS Ozark to Angmagssalik, Greenland. A depth charge was dropped on a sound contact that afternoon. Air coverage was received part of the way during daylight hours. On the 30th INGHAM delivered the Ozark to the cutter Nanok (WYP-169) and commenced picking a route through the ice fields easterly toward Iceland. She moored at Reykjavik on 1 November 1942.

On 2 November 1942, she proceeded to join convoy SC-107 in order to augment that convoy's escorts, along with Schenck and Leary. The convoy was sighted on the 4th, INGHAM being assigned to patrol the van. That evening she dropped one charge on a doubtful sound contact but abandoned search after losing the range. Next morning, the 5th, INGHAM and the Leary began scouting the area on opposite courses to regain convoy which had changed course during the night. Regaining her station she learned that 16 ships of convoy SC-107 had been torpedoed so far on that voyage. She continued to patrol the van on the 6th with 22 ships in convoy and no air coverage. On the 7th four vessels destined for Iceland broke away and INGHAM began patrolling the van of this group with Schenck and Leary. Air coverage was provided during the day. On the 9th INGHAM departed the convoy to intercept convoy ONSJ-144 five hours later. This consisted of a convoy of seven vessels escorted by the Duane and BIBB. On the 11th the convoy was separated in a hurricane with wind of force 12 and visibility lass than one mile. INGHAM patrolled ahead of of the detached vessels, the position of the rest of the convoy remaining unknown. On the 15th with the two vessels joined convoy ONS-144 and INGHAM departed to proceed independently for Iceland, mooring at Reykjavik on the 16th and at Hvalfjordur on the 17th. On the 22nd she escorted the tanker SS Culpepper to Seydesfjordur, Iceland, returning to Reykjavik with her and SS Pizadies on the 2nd of December.

INGHAM proceeded to Reykjavik on 8 December 1942, and on the 11th began patrolling ahead of convoy ONSJ-152 as escort commander with two Navy destroyers. They joined the main convoy on the 15th and INGHAM attack a sound contact with a single 600-pound depth charge without apparent results. She and the three escorts then departed to meet convoy SC-112 which they joined on the 16th. On the 17th INGHAM dropped three depth charges on a sound contact with screw beats identified as a submarine, dropping 10-charge pattern four minutes later. Failing to regain the contact INGHAM swept the area for half an hour and rejoined the convoy. Post war examination of German Navy records indicated that U-626 was sunk in this area and INGHAM received credit for the U-boat's destruction (The Navy and British Admiralty credit the 15 December attack as having destroyed U-626). The two destroyers accompanied the Iceland unit when it separated from the others on December 19th, INGHAM remaining with the main unit before being joined the next day by Schenck. INGHAM reached Reykjavik on the 23rd and remained moored at Hvalfjordur until the end of the year.

On 8 January 1943, INGHAM proceeded to Reykjavik and was underway on the 14th, joining the west-bound convoy ONSJ-160, composed of 11 merchant vessels, taking her station patrolling the van. On 15th the convoy received air coverage until the afternoon. On the 16th one of the convoy vessels returned to Reykjavik with engine trouble and the convoy again received air coverage. On the 17th the main convoy was sighted and joined, INGHAM patrolling the port van, air coverage continuing on that day and on the 18th. On the 22nd sighted smoke from the east-bound convoy HX-223, which INGHAM joined, taking station on starboard van. A contact was investigated and classified as non-sub. On the 23rd INGHAM reduced speed and ceased zigzagging as a force 12 hurricane developed. When this decreased to force 9, she increased speed and resumed patrol, commencing van and stern sweeps for stragglers. The convoy, having separated during the hurricane, INGHAM , and three British escorts took over a section and by the 25th had rounded up 25 of the convoy. Air coverage was sighted on that day and the next, and two sections of the convoy were merged. On the 27th INGHAM departed the main convoy with three merchant ships bound for Iceland. That night about midnight INGHAM identified a radar target as a probable submarine on the surface and headed for it, but it disappeared at 2,900 yards and INGHAM fired two depth charges over its estimated position but failed to regain contact. She moored at Hvalfjordur that evening, 28 January 1943.

Proceeding to Reykjavik on February 3rd INGHAM departed Reykjavik that day and at 2115 on the 5th joined BIBB in making a sweep astern, searching for a submarine reported by aircraft, but returned to the convoy without results. Two hours later several underwater explosions were felt at 1935 and two white flares were fired in the vicinity of the convoy. These were followed an hour later by gun flashes from the convoy, followed by more underwater disturbances. Early on the 7th more gun flashes and underwater explosions were noted and INGHAM commenced a 10-mile sweep ahead of the convoy. A variety of flares and star shells were observed. At 0505 she sighted a red light and heard an explosion and three hours later was ordered to search stern for 50 miles to locate survivors. Two hours later sighted a large quantity of lumber, and two life rafts. With the BIBB and two British escorts INGHAM maneuvered in the vicinity preparing to pick up survivors from three merchant vessels and one transport which had been torpedoed. INGHAM picked up seven survivors in lifeboats and 15 others were removed from rafts and wreckage. She then secured while other escorts picked up survivors, and then rejoined the convoy. At 1610 sighted a friendly plane attacking a submarine five miles away. At 2220 sighted star shells and gun flashes on the horizon and 30 minutes later obtained radar contact at 3,000 yards, losing it at 800, but opened fire with 3-inch gun on target believed to be a submarine. The target disappeared and INGHAM rejoined the convoy.

Early on the 8th INGHAM sighted fire rockets and a red flare and several flashing lights low in the water were later determined to be signals from life boats of a torpedoed ship. Half hour later two explosions were heard and black smoke observed on the starboard bow. Made a sound contact which was lost and shortly thereafter the cutter picked up four survivors from lifeboats and then rejoined the convoy. An hour later other underwater water explosions were heard. Later several doubtful contacts were picked up but faded. Air coverage from Flying Fortresses continued on the 9th when at noon the Iceland group SSL-118 consisting of seven merchant vessels broke off from the main convoy, with INGHAM as escort commander. A straggler identified as Norwegian SS Annik was ordered to take station astern of the convoy. On the 11th difficulty was experienced in keeping the convoy together due to a whole gale with wind force of 10. On the 12th a gun sponson was damaged by heavy seas and its platform was lost overboard on the 13th. Anchoring at Reykjavik on the 11th, the survivors left the ship, and she then proceeded to Hvalfjordur. On the 28th entered drydock for work on the dome of her underwater sound apparatus.

On 3 March 1943 INGHAM was ordered to sea to search for the survivors of a torpedoed ship and was underway on the 4th. Eight hours later sighted the USS Keywadin (ATR-140) who reported her chain lockers flooded and awash continually. INGHAM directed her to return to port, she having indicated that she could proceed independently. INGHAM then proceeded to search the area and on the 5th passed through what appeared to be pieces of cork wreckage, pieces of bulkhead and rubber tires which were strewn over the ocean for a distance of 35 miles. No boats or rafts could be sighted although search was extended for a distance of 40 miles before darkness shut in. Then she proceeded toward Reykjavik, mooring there on 6 March 1943.

On 7 March 1943 INGHAM stood cut of Reykjavik and proceeded to intercept convoy SC-121 which was threatened with a submarine attack. On the 9th she sighted the convoy and assisted BIBB in an anti-submarine sweep in the vicinity of a convoy ship which had sighted a submarine. Seven hours later ship No. 2 in the convoy was torpedoed. INGHAM fired a star shell and opened fire with 3-inch guns. Twenty five minutes later ship No. 74 was torpedoed but was still able to proceed with the convoy. Next day ship No. 23 was torpedoed and another merchant vessel (No. 52) in the convoy reported ramming a submarine. INGHAM made an anti-submarine sweep. On the 11th, B-17 and Sunderland aircraft provided air coverage. Shortly afternoon INGHAM detached from the convoy with USS Babbitt (DD-128) and proceeded to Reykjavik, mooring at Halfjordur on March 12th.

On the 13th divers inspected the dome on the echo ranging equipment and reported it damaged and inoperative. On the 15th INGHAM proceeded to Reykjavik and on the 16th stood out in company with the Babbitt to join convoy SC-122. On the 18th Babbitt detached to join an HX convoy and INGHAM sighted convoy SC-122 on the 19th and took station ahead. At 0951 a column of water from torpedo explosions was sighted, followed by a signal and six minutes later sighted torpedoed ship SS Matthew Luckenbach and maneuvered in the vicinity to pick up the survivors. Succeeded in picking up all of the crew and the armed guard, all hands being saved. Ten hours later the cutter dropped one charge on what proved to be a doubtful contact. On the 20th she had another contact while patrolling ahead of the convoy and expended a pattern of charges with unknown results. Air coverage was provided by a Flying Fortress. On the 21st INGHAM detached from the convoy and proceeded to Londonderry, Ireland, mooring at Lisashally on the 22nd where she landed the survivors. On the 24th proceeded to Liverpool for repairs to the echo ranging sound dome, entering drydock there on March 27th.

On 2 April 1943 INGHAM stood out of the Mersey River en route Reykjavik. On the 4th she sighted a plane on anti-submarine patrol and later that day Moored at Hvalfjordur. Proceeding to Reykjavik on the 5th, she stood out of that port on the 6th in company with BIBB escorting USS Vulcan (AR-5) to Londonderry. On the 17th they commenced receiving air coverage and anchored at Lough Foyle on the 8th. She departed the same day in company with BIBB en route Norfolk, Virginia. Air coverage was received on the 9th from two Sunderlands and SS Empire Grace was sighted and identified, also a derelict tank lighter on the horizon. Later two charges from "K" guns were fired on a contact that proved doubtful. Other non-sub contacts on the 14th and 15th were not fired on. On the 16th a friendly was sighted. A full pattern was fired on a contact on the 17th without results and air coverage began from a PBM plane patrol. At 2030 INGHAM stood up the swept channel at entrance to the Chesapeake Bay and on the 15th stood out of the Bay in company with BIBB for Boston where she anchored at the Navy Yard on the 19th entering drydock on the 28th.

On 5 May 1943 after test runs, INGHAM departed for Casco Bay and conducted anti-submarine exercises until the 10th when she proceeded to New York and reported to Task Force 66. On the 13th she stood down the bay to await departure of convoy UGS-8A, checking vessels out on the 14th and then beginning to patrol her station on the port flank of the convoy. That evening she dropped six charges in an emergency attack on a sound contact. A radar contact on the 21st was run down without results. On the 26th an air bubble streak sighted by escorting aircraft was run down with negative results. Other negative sound contacts were obtained on the 29th and air coverage from land-based planes was received on the 30th. On 1 June 1943 INGHAM anchored at Casablanca.

On 9 June 1943 INGHAM with the Casablanca section of convoy UGS-8 got underway bound for the U. S. and joined the main body of the convoy from African-Mediterranean ports in the afternoon. Shore based air coverage was received on the 10th and from the 11th to the 13th medical assistance was rendered to patients brought on board and by visual signaling. On the 21st a HF/DF bearing was investigated, indicating a submarine 25 miles distant, but without results. Land-based air coverage was had on the 22nd and 23rd and on the 25th a sound contact investigated gave no results. On the 26th the Norfolk section broke off and on the 27th the convoy anchored in Gravesend Bay, New York. INGHAM proceeded to Todd Shipyard, Hoboken on the 28th.

Standing out of Casablanca on 6 August 1943 INGHAM with six other escorts reached Gibraltar on the 7th and on the 8th joined a westbound convoy. Air coverage from a Catalina flying boat on the 10th was augmented when the carrier USS Bogue (CVE-9) and two escorts joined the convoy. On the 16th INGHAM had a probable contact but lost it. Half-an-hour later another escort dropped depth charges and the convoy made two emergency turns. On the 18th two probable contacts faded out. On the 24th the New York section broke off and the next day BIBB dropped a full pattern where a plane had sighted a submarine 14 miles ahead of the convoy. That evening the single column convoy 13 miles long entered the swept charnel to Norfolk. On the 26th INGHAM took a section of the convoy to Delaware Bay and then departed for Boston, arriving there on the 27th.

Leaving Boston on 7 September 1943, INGHAM engaged in anti-submarine exercises off New London, Connecticut, until the 10th, when she proceeded to Norfolk. On the 14th she stood out of Lynnhaven Roads with a 59 ship convoy and nine escorts. On the 15th she mad a run on a sound contact, had a good trace and dropped three depth charges. After regaining contact she made another run and dropped a nine-charge pattern set on shallow. This was followed by another nine-charge pattern at medium depth. After temporary difficulties to the underwater sound apparatus, the radar and a fuel oil feed line which closed, putting one boiler out of commission and cutting loose the main flooding valve in No. 3 magazine, damage control rigged a pump for the magazine, the underwater sound apparatus was put back in order, and a fourth run on the sound contact was made, after a 45 minute delay, with a nine-charge deep pattern. No results were noted and INGHAM returned to the convoy.

On the 17 October 1943 the No. 13 ship had to return due to engine trouble and a tanker dropped back for repairs on the 19th. On the 20th a patient from one of the convoyed vessels was operated on for acute appendicitis. On the 28th an escort had a contact with no results. On the 30th land-based air coverage became plentiful. English escorts took over the convoy off Point Europe in the Mediterranean on October 3rd and INGHAM with two destroyers picked three tankers and escorted them to Casablanca, arriving on October 5th.

INGHAM stood out of Casablanca on 8 October 8th 1943, escorting two vessels, in company with a destroyer and two PCs, to meet the Gibraltar section of a convoy on the 9th. One of the PCs attacked a submarine. On the 14th the aircraft carrier USS Card (CVE-11) reported getting three submarines. On the 25th the New York section of the convoy broke off from the rest of the convoy, proceeded to Delaware Bay, arriving on the 26th. INGHAM then proceeded to Boston on the 27 October 1943 and entered drydock at the Navy Yard Annex.

After having a hedgehog installed and her personnel drilled on the attack teacher and in trace analysis, INGHAM departed Boston on 8 November 1942 for Panama. She passed through the Canal on the 14th and moored at Balboa. After two days of attack teacher sessions, she proceeded to Perlas Island submarine area where she engaged in anti-submarine exercises until 25 September 1943. Standing through the canal on the 29th she proceeded to Guantanmo Bay, Cuba, on the 30th, acting as escort commander of convoy GF-5l.

On 4 December 1943 she left the convoy left the convoy as it joined a New York convoy and went into Guantanamo. On the 5th she departed Guantanamo as Task Force Commander of convoy GF-52, arriving at Cristobal Harbor on the 9th, docking at Balboa on the 10th. On the 19th she proceeded to Saboga anchorage and continued anti-submarine exercises with the submarines USS Rock (SS-274) and the USS S-13 until the 31st.

On 11 January 1944, INGHAM, after undergoing necessary repairs at Balboa, was ordered to proceed to Hampton Roads, Virginia, where she arrived on the 18th. On the 22nd Task Force 64 was organized, consisting of INGHAM (flag), ten destroyers and a tanker, standing out of the swept channel on the 25th as escort to convoy UGS-31. On the 27th two LCI(L)s rammed as their steering gears jammed simultaneously, a destroyer towing one into Bermuda while the other made repairs en route. On the 4th ten LCI(L)s departed for Horta, Azores, escorted by a destroyer.

Land-based Liberators and PBYs furnished air coverage on the 5th. On the 9th the Casablanca section departed and on the 10th two destroyers searched for a submarine reported in the area. The convoy passed through the Straits of Gibraltar on the11th and the task force, relieved by British escorts, was ordered to hunt a U-boat located nearby. Five were ordered to patrol the area and the remaining six, including INGHAM hunted the sub south off Cadiz, Spain. Five hours later all but five assigned to patrol duty returned to Gibraltar, without results, after attacking sound contacts. From the 13th to the 15th six escorts patrolled the strait.

On 16 February 1944, INGHAM relieved the British flagship of the Senior Mediterranean Escort Group and the 66 ship convoy GUS-30 passed through the straits. On the 17th the Casablanca section consisting of a tanker and four merchant ships, escorted by three destroyers and two PCs joined and three merchant ships departed for Casablanca. On the 18th and 19th bearings were obtained on U-boats transmitting massages. On the 20th one ship detached for Aruba and another for New York, while a destroyer and two ships joined just south of Ponta Delgada. On the 21st two ships detached and on the 23rd the Azores section joined. During the last few days of February heavy seas caused quite a bit of straggling. On March 2nd one destroyer left to escort a damaged ship to Bermuda. Aircraft coverage was received from land based PBMs on the 3rd. On the 4th another ship departed for Bermuda because of lack of coal and another detached for Tampa, Florida. The Chesapeake section broke off. On the 6th all escorts secured their sound gear due to heavy seas. On the 6th the Delaware and Boston sections departed and INGHAM detached, stood up to Gravesend Bay, removed ammunition and moored at Brooklyn Navy Yard.

Yard workmen began repairs and alterations on INGHAM on 9 March 1944. Two officers attended LORAN school from the 15th to 20th to learn the operation of LORAN equipment being installed. On the 22nd INGHAM departed New York arriving at Norfolk next day. After being drydocked for inspection, INGHAM was designated Task Force 65.1 for USS LST-540 and proceeded on March 27th to escort her to join Com 8th Fleet. On April 9 a concentration of submarines was reported northeast of her position. On the 12th INGHAM moored in Gibraltar Harbor, received 11 sacks of confidential hydrographic material which she delivered at Oran on the 13th where the LST-540 detached. INGHAM proceeded to Bizerte on the 14th and reported there to CTF-65 and Com 8th (Adm) on the 15th.

On 21 April 1944 INGHAM stood outside Bizerte Harbor to hold anti-aircraft firing practice with Task Force 65, which later that day began escorting Convoy GUS-37. The Bone section joined on the 22nd and the U. S. Navy Commodore relieved the British commodore of the convoy. On the 23rd 15 ships of the Algiers section departed and 18 ships joined from that port. On the 24th 15 ships of the Oran section departed. On the 25th the convoy passed through the Straits of Gibraltar, as Gibraltar ships detached and joined. On the 26th the Casablanca section joined and detached leaving 64 ships in the convoy. Air coverage was received from 21st through the 27th of April. On the 27th the Azores section joined. On the 28th doctors on INGHAM furnished medical advice to a patient on a merchant ship via signal light, and a doctor from a destroyer was transferred to the ship to care for female patient. On April 30th a destroyer detached to bring in a joiner from the Azores.

As July 1944 began INGHAM was screening the van of convoy GUS-44 en route New York, as one of the escorts of Task Force 65, with Commander of Task Force 65 in INGHAM. In company was ComCortDiv 58 in USS Price [DE-332] with five destroyers and ComCortDiv 62 in USS Otter (DE-210) with seven destroyers (one French). One destroyer departed on the 2nd and two others on the 3rd. Between the 1st and 9th of July 11 ships with two towboats joined the convoy. Ten ships departed for Oran on the 3rd; three for Gibraltar on the 4th; on the 16th one tanker, escorted by ComCortDiv 76, and three tows escorted by two destroyers, departed for Bermuda; also the Chesapeake section of 14 merchant ships, USS Polaris (AF-11) and four destroyers; three merchant ships escorted by a destroyer departed on the 17th. On July 18th INGHAM detached and moored at Brooklyn. Air coverage had been furnished to the convoy almost daily since the 1st. On the 19th the Commander Task Force 65 transferred to USS Stanton (DE-247) and INGHAM carried out port routine until the 23rd.

On 24 July 24 1944, INGHAM departed New York and proceeded to Navy Yard, Charleston, South Carolina, for conversion to an AGC (combined operations and communications headquarters ship; she was then redesignated as WAGC-35). Conversion work continued through August, September and until 21 October 1944, with the ship's personnel undergoing training. With conversion work completed, INGHAM departed for Norfolk on 22 October 1944, conducting a ladder search en route for survivors of a ship lost in a recent hurricane. On the 23rd she altered her course to meet two destroyers to assist. A broad front ladder search, with reflection turns, was then begun with INGHAM as guide. Excessive vibration of INGHAM's starboard main unit necessitated reduction of speed to 10 knots. A small boat was picked up and INGHAM discontinued the search at 1900 because of engine vibration, reaching Norfolk on October 24th where repairs were begun. Post repair trials were completed on 20 November 1944, and after four days of shakedown, exercises and practice she stood out to sea on the 24th with orders to report to Commander, Seventh Fleet at Cristobal, Canal Zone.

INGHAM reported at Cristobal on 29 November 1944 and passing through the canal proceeded on orders to Bora Bora, Society Islands and thence to Hollandia, New Guinea. She reached Bora Bora on December 13th and Hollandia on the 14th. On the 26th she arrived at Humboldt Bay, reported to Commander, Seventh Fleet and was ordered to report to Task Force 76. On the 31st she moved alongside of destroyer tender USS Dobbin (AD-3) for repairs and alterations.

On 21 January 1945 with repairs completed, INGHAM moved to the firing area for firing practice. On the 24th, as a member of Task Unit 76.4.4 , INGHAM got underway with an American and an Australian destroyer, holding firing practice en route Leyte, Philippine Islands. On arrival on the 28th the Task Unit was dissolved and INGHAM reported to C.T.F. 78. Under escort of a destroyer as Task Unit 78.12.6 she departed for Luzon on the 29th, with good air coverage provided during the afternoon of the 30th from U.S. Army Air Force base on Mindoro. Reaching destination on the 31st INGHAM reported to Commander, Task Group 76.3 who transferred to INGHAM with his staff.

On 1 February 1945 INGHAM moved to Subic Bay and on the 14th she stood to seaward as the flagship and guide of the Mariveles-Corregidor Attack Group. On the 15th, firing from the north coast of Corregidor caused several casualties to personnel in landing craft (LCP(Rs) embarked from troop transports (APDs). The enemy battery was silenced by counter-battery fire from light cruisers and destroyers. The landings were made on schedule with light opposition. One landing ship (LSM) was damaged severely by an explosion believed caused by a mine. Light cruisers and destroyers continued firing on Corregidor through out the day. INGHAM maintained a position during daylight hours at the entrance to Mariveles Harbor, directing operations. Phase I of the operations against Mariveles being successful she stood to sea at 1810.

The next day, 16 February 1945, she returned to Mariveles and took station at the harbor entrance while forming up the Corregidor attack group. At 0835 she commenced standing for Black Beach (San Jose) on the south side of Corregidor, in the van of the Corregidor attack groups. Paratroops began dropping on Corregidor at 1840 and at 1005 INGHAM took station about 2,500 yards south of Black Beach to direct landing operations. The five waves landed at 1029 with reportedly light opposition. By 1150 the beachhead was reported established and secured. INGHAM remained in position until 1600, then proceeded to Mariveles Harbor until 2000 and stood for Subic Bay, where she anchored early the next day. On the 17th she returned to Mariveles Harbor to observe and direct operations. When the USS Hidatsa (YT-102) hit a mine at 1310 INGHAM dispatched medical assistance. She hove to off Black Beach for two hours from 1630 directing landing of reinforcements. Then she stood for Subic Bay. She returned to Corregidor on the 18th, observed and directed operations at Black Beach. INGHAM hosted GEN Douglas MacArthur and his party on 25 February for a final planning session during the action. After the meeting, INGHAM's small boat took MacArthur and his party to a rendezvous with a PT boat off Black Beach. The General then went aboard the PT boat for the trip into the beach. INGHAM then returned to Subic Bay, where she remained until 5 March 1945.

On 5 March 1945, INGHAM departed Subic Bay for Lingayen Gulf with a destroyer and an LCI. On the 15th she stood out as flag and guide of an attack group en route to Tigbauan, Panay. She stood into the transport area off Red and Blue Beaches, Tigbauan, Panay, on the 16th as destroyers began firing at preselected shore targets. Maintaining her position near the line of departure for Red Beach, a boat was dispatched and returned to INGHAM with one of the many natives who had been observed on the beach. This guerilla reported that all Japanese in the immediate vicinity were in the church at Tigbauan where they were surrounded by guerilla forces. The preliminary rocket bombardment which had been planned was, therefore, considered un- necessary and the first wave landed at 0906. No opposition was encountered on the beach. Because of a sand bar off Red Beach the rest of the landing was shifted to Blue Beach, immediately west of the Sibalon River, where LSTs made dry ramp landings. The beachhead was established and unloading was carried out throughout the daylight hours. At twilight the landing craft retracted and retired off shore, INGHAM acting as flag and guide of the group. Unloading continued during daylight hours on the 19th and 20th, retiring seaward at twilight. On 23 March 1945 INGHAM proceeded to Iloilo.

INGHAM returned to the Blue Beach area at Tigbauan, Panay, on March 26th, to supervise and coordinate the loading of ships for carrying out the attack on Pulupandan, Negros. On the 28th she was underway forming up the Attack Group. Arrived off Green Beach, Pulupandan on the 29th and maintained position to direct landing operations. The first wave landed at 1859. There was no opposition and the landing proceeded according to plan. INGHAM continued to direct operations on March 30th and 31st.

INGHAM left San Pedro Bay off Tolosa, Leyte, on 5 May 1945, for Ormoc Bay where she conducted landing rehearsals. On the 9th the Macajalar Bay Attack Unit (Task Unit 78.3.4) was formed with INGHAM as flag and guide and departed for Mindanao. On the 10th a line of departure was established 3,000 yards off Brown Beach and destroyers commenced shore bombardment of the beach area, INGHAM directing operations. At 0803, Landing Ships, Tanks (LSTs) began discharging Tracked Landing Vehicles (LVT's) for the first and second waves, the first wave hitting the beach with no opposition at 0830 and the second landing four minutes later. At 0908 Medium Landing Ships (LSM) began, beaching and unloading. INGHAM was 2,500 yards off the beach. The operation proceeded as planned and the Army forces pushed inland. Retiring at night the amphibious forces returned to the beachhead daily for the next several days. On the 17th she departed for San Pedro Bay, Leyte, arriving there on the 18th.

Leaving Leyte on May 21st INGHAM stopped at Zamboanga, Mindanao on the 22nd, proceeding to Polloc Harbor next day and anchoring in Taloma Bay, Davao Gulf on the 25th. Here she soon shifted anchorage because of projectile bursts, presumably of enemy origin in the area. At 1749 she departed for San Pedro, Leyte, and anchored there on the 26th. She remained there until 5 July 1945.

On 5 July 1945, the Commander of Task Unit 76.6.11 transferred his flag to INGHAM, the Commander of Task Group 78.3 and staff having been transferred to shore headquarters at Tolosa on June 10th, and INGHAM departed for Taloma Bay, Mindanao, P. I., arriving next day. On the 11th she departed as flag and guide of the Sarangani Bay Attack Unit, arriving in the objective area at dawn on the 12th. The first wave landed on the beach and reported no opposition. Next day INGHAM proceeded to Talona Bay, then to Parang on the 16th. While en route to Zamboanga she was ordered back to Taloma Bay where she anchored on 19 June 1945.

On 19 July 1945 INGHAM stood out of Taloma Bay as flag and guide of the Balut Island Attack Unit, arriving off Balut Island on the 20th. INGHAM and USS Chester T. O'Brien (DE-421) began a bombardment of the southeast portion of the island in preparation for landing a company of infantry to exterminate 40 or 50 Japanese reported on the island. The first group landed from three LCIs, an LCS and three LCMs at 0824, the landing being completed without opposition in 16 minutes. INGHAM returned to Taloma Bay that night, then to San Pedro Bay on the 25th where C.T.U. 76.6.11 transferred his flag. On the 31st INGHAM moved to Manicani Island Repair Base for availability.

All during August and until 6 September 1945, INGHAM remained at Guian roadstead, Samar, Philippine Islands, or anchored in San Pedro Bay, off Tolosa, Leyte. On September 6th she got underway to rendezvous with convoy TF-74 as flag and guide en route Buckner Bay, Okinawa, where she anchored on September 12th. On the 17th the convoy departed for Shanghai, mooring there on September 20th.

Leaving Shanghai on 3 October 1945, as flag and guide of the convoy formed there, she stood into Hong Kong on the 7th. On the 14th she proceeded to Haiphong and Hon Gay Indo-China to carry on liaison work in connection with the lift of the 52nd Chinese Army.

USCGC INGHAM Maritime Museum | P.O. Box 186 | Key West, FL 33041 (305) 292-5072

©2022 USCGC INGHAM Maritime Museum, All Rights Reserved